Monday, October 3, 2011

Pumpkin Pancakes-Vegan MoFo Day 3


I had some leftover canned pumpkin puree and wanted to make something sweet for the breakfast today. I decided to create a recipe for pumpkin pancakes and I was very pleased with the results. These pancakes were great warm, topped with melted vegan butter and maple syrup, and cold smeared with cranberry jam. You can make the batter thinner by adding more milk and make pumpkin crepes instead. You can double or triple the recipe if you like. You can add 1/2 cup dried cranberries to the batter before cooking.


Pumpkin Pancakes

1 1/2 cups flour
4 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
1 cup plain pureed pumpkin (canned or homemade)
1 3/4 cup soy or almond milk
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spices (cinnamon,ginger,nutmeg,allspice,cloves) or plain cinnamon

In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients and stir with a fork or a whisk until smooth, adding more milk if the batter is too thick.
Spray a nonstick pan with a cooking spray. Cook pancakes, one at a time, over medium heat, flipping once when the edges begin to bubble and get slightly brown. Serve warm, topped with maple or agave syrup and melted vegan butter, or cold with cranberry jam.

12 comments:

  1. OH WOW! That looks and sounds great. This is at the top of my to make list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so good. I'm really interested in the cranberry jam; did you make that yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw that picture in my reader I thought it was the awesomest, yummiest, greasiest pizza ever. Instead, it's a super awesome, seasonally appropriate, ultra yummy pancake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of this pumpkin talk is really making me want some pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @foodfeaud I bought this cranberry jam, but you can make your own if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love pumpkin pancakes. Man, I need to go stock up on pumpkin soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pumpkins, but never baked something sweet with them. If you have no pumpkin purée you cook it for 45 minutes in water? I'm from germany where canned pumpkin is unseen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Lilian Yes, you can make your own. Cut into small chunks,remove seeds and stringy pulp,cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Then mash or puree the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made these pancakes for a breakfast for dinner night! They were easy to make and so delicious! My whole family loved them. They topped them with pecans and whipped cream. This recipe is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete