Monday, July 25, 2011

Lemon Pie and 1 year blog anniversary


My husband has been asking me for a vegan Lemon Meringue pie. I was searching the net for recipes but most recipes that I found were soy milk based and I didn't think that the soy milk would make the filling very creamy and thick. Last year I made a Key Lime pie with soy milk and cornstarch, but the filling was very soft, runny and not thick and creamy enough.
Few days ago I saw a Coconut Lemon Pie recipe on the Exploits of a Vegan Wannabe Facebook page. The recipe was made using coconut milk instead of soy milk. Last week I made my very first vegan strawberry ice cream with boiled coconut milk and cornstarch. I loved how creamy and thick the high fat coconut milk was so I figured that this pie filling would be thick and creamy as well. I decided to try it and tweak the recipe a bit so it was more lemony with minimum coconut flavor. Kind of like a Lemon Meringue pie, except without the pretty Meringue topping that is made with baked whipped egg whites......... I might try making a vegan version of the topping one day though.
By the way, I noticed that few days ago it was my 1 year blogging anniversary :-) Thank you everyone for reading my blog and thank you for all your support!

This recipe was adapted from Sherry at Exploits of a Vegan Wannabe blog

Lemon Pie

1 9-inch graham cracker pie crust (ready to eat) or homemade pie crust (fully baked)

1 14-oz canned coconut milk (high fat version) plus 1/2 can water

1/2 cup cornstarch

3/4 cup sugar

zest of 2 lemons

juice of 1 lemon

3 tsp lemon extract


In a medium sauce pan bring the coconut milk to a boil. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl whisk together cornstarch and a 1/2 can of very cold water, using a fork or a small whisk. Make sure that there are no cornstarch lumps left in the water. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the boiling coconut milk, whisking constantly. Lower the heat to medium-low, add the remaining ingredients and whisk constantly until the filling thickens, about 10 minutes.

Pour the filling into the pie crust, cool for about 10 minutes and then refrigerate for several hours, or overnight.

This Lemon Pie is so good! The texture is beautiful, thick, creamy but not too heavy. The taste is tangy, lemony and so rich. My husband and I loved it, I will be making it again soon. I might try a strawberry version or a Key Lime pie.





13 comments:

  1. Sounds lovely! Perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Noelle Thanks :-) I think that this recipe would make a nice Key Lime Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blogging anniversary!! And yes, that pie looks good. I'm all for more lemon, less coconut :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just found your blog looking for a recipe for lemon pie for my allergy kid - we do all our baking vegan but she cant have soy or nuts either so this recipe looks perfect for her. I will try it out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Barbs I hope you and your kid will like it, you can make it without a crust too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy blogiversary! This pie looks AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I would absolutely love to see a key lime version of this pie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I love lemon flavoured treats :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these!! Become a tradition of every Friday night!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Extremely lemony and delicious. Have made this a number of times and it is delicious right out of the freezer as a left-over dessert. Have used almond meal as the crust in order to make it gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was outstanding - everyone raved about the dessert, and I would make it again in a heartbeat! The chantilly cream is a wonderful contrast to the delightful pie...and the custard has none of that "eggy" taste you usually get with lemon custard desserts. A total winner - simple, impressive, delicious and enjoyed by all after a heavy meal!

    Mariz
    Click here for Decking Ipe website

    ReplyDelete