Monday, August 27, 2012

Sunshine Carrot Dog Treats


I had tons of left over carrot pulp from last week's juice fast so I decided to make cookies with it last night. One batch of cookies was for Shelly and one was for the humans :-) I usually use left over veggie/fruit pulp from juicing in soups, salads, muffins, cookies and hummus.

Shelly eats mostly grain-free diet but these cookies have some oats (but no wheat). To make a grain-free version of these treats, use about 2 cups of cooked chickpeas and mash them into the cookie mix instead of using oatmeal.


Sunshine Carrot Dog Treats

1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 cup finely shredded carrots (or carrot pulp)
1 ripe medium banana, mashed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)


In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients together using your hands. Make sure that the oats are moist enough, adding a splash of water if needed. Let sit about 20 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease cookie sheet with coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
Form small cookies (about 1 inch wide and 1/3 inch thick) and place them on the cookie sheet. Flatten them with a fork.
Bake 5 minutes, flip and bake 5 more minutes. Cool cookies completely before giving them to your dog. Store them in the refrigerator for up to a week.

See my note above for grain-free version.
This recipe makes about 25 cookies. You can make bigger or smaller cookies, but you will need to adjust the baking time.




2 comments:

  1. Great idea! Think I will make these for my dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return. best dog treats

    ReplyDelete