Sunday, October 9, 2011

Kale with creamy avocado & lime dressing-Vegan MoFo Day 9



I love my Garlicky Cheezy Kale Salad, but I ran out of nutritional yeast :-(
However, I found some lonely avocado and a few tomatoes in the fridge and decided to make a different kale salad. First I wanted to dice the avocado and tomatoes and mix it with my kale, but then I changed my mind as I was dicing it. I mashed it instead and made a creamy base for my new salad creation. The results were so good, even my husband was asking for seconds. I want to share the recipe with you and let you decide if this kale salad is better than my Garlicky Cheezy Kale Salad.


Kale with creamy avocado & lime dressing

1 bunch kale (about 9-10 large leaves. I used Lacinato kale for this recipe)
1 ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
2 large tomatoes, diced
juice from 1 lime (start with half a lime and add more to taste)
salt and cayenne pepper to taste


Remove tough stems from the kale and tear leaves into bite-size pieces. Wash the leaves thoroughly and drain excess water. I used lettuce spinner to get my kale dry which made the dressing stick to each leaf nicely.
In a small bowl mash avocado with fork or with your hands until smooth. Add lime juice and mix well. Pour the dressing over kale leaves. Rub the dressing into kale with your hands, making sure each leaf is covered. Add diced tomatoes, season with salt and cayenne pepper to taste and mix well. Serve at room temperature or chilled. You can add diced cucumber and chopped cilantro if desired.





4 comments:

  1. This looks great! How is the texture on this one - do you think it's a salad that non-veg*ns would enjoy (having friends over tonight) or should I save it for a veg dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Heather-This salad will please your non-vegan guests as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks and sounds great, I love using avocado in salads too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had a similar kale salad...but never put tomatoes in it. And I've always used lemon. But since I just bought some limes, I'll have to try it your way, with tomatoes and limes!

    ReplyDelete