Monday, March 12, 2012

Porcini Seitan Cutlets




This is my personal vegan take on one of my favorite Czech foods that I used to like as child. We used to pick the mushrooms in the forest and then dry them at home. I was so thrilled when FungusAmongUs sent me some of their Organic Porcini mushrooms. I cannot get fresh Porcini mushrooms in Atlanta so my only option is to buy dried Porcini. They work in many recipes almost as good as fresh mushrooms.

Porcini Seitan Cutlets

8 small (or 4 large) seitan cutlets, drained
2 Tbs vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance Buttery stick)
1 cup dried Porcini mushrooms (I used FungusAmongUs Organic Porcini)
1/3 cup whole wheat flour (for dredging the seitan)
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbs tamari or soy sauce
3 cups vegetable broth (I used Edward & Sons Not-Beef bouillon cubes for extra "beefy" flavor)
salt and black pepper to taste

Rinse dried Porcini mushrooms with warm water and cut into smaller pieces. Set aside.
Sprinkle each seitan cutlet with a little bit of salt, and dip in flour until evenly coated. Shake off excess flour and set aside.
In a large pot or a skillet (with a lid), melt vegan margarine over medium heat. Fry seitan in the melted margarine, until lightly brown on both sides (about 1 minute per side). Add onions and garlic and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth, tamari and dried mushrooms. Cover and cook 5 minutes. Flip the seitan cutlets, cover and cook 5 minutes. Removed the seitan and set aside. Cover the sauce, lower the heat to medium low and cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add seitan cutlets back into the sauce and cook 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve over rice, mashed potatoes or with French fries.


2 comments:

  1. Yum - this sounds great! I love seitan and really don't cook with it enough. Great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try it with any dried mushrooms or fresh mushrooms if you like, but Porcini give this an authentic Czech flavor :-)

      Delete