Sunday, January 1, 2012

Zhena's Gypsy Tea "Caramel Chai" herbal red tea


Zhena's Gypsy Tea is one of my favorite tea companies, so I was very excited to get a tin of their new Caramel Chai Herbal Red Tea in the mail last week. I just ran out of my other chai tea so this was a great timing :-)
This tea is packed in eco-friendly tea sachets for convenient brewing. It's organic, fair trade and vegan. All Zhena's Gypsy Teas are vegan which makes me very happy :-)
Most chai teas are made with black tea that contains caffeine so I usually buy decaffeinated black chai tea or Rooibos chai tea. This tea is made with Rooibos so there is literally zero caffeine. This tea is full of antioxidants and health beneficial herbs and spices.
My first impression when I opened the tin of Caramel Chai Herbal Red Tea and smelled the tea sachets was "Wow!" The strong, sweet and spicy aroma was overwhelming and I could not wait to brew a cup of that tea.
This lovely tea has a quite unique taste compare to other chai teas that I know. I added a splash of unsweetened almond milk which resulted in a delightful, creamy, sweet and mildly spicy cup of tea. I love the addition of caramelized brown sugar which creates a sweet, caramel flavor that beautifully accompanies the warm and spicy chai blend. The pungent crystallized ginger gives this tea a nice, warm touch. Whole bean Bourbon vanilla adds a beautiful taste that slightly mellows down the spicy cinnamon, black pepper, nutmeg, cardamon and cloves, while the licorice root adds a touch of extra sweetness. The tea was sweet enough on its own, but a spoonful of agave nectar or other sweetener might be a nice addition, too. I loved that the tea was not overly spicy, but rather flavorful, creamy, and full of caramel taste.


*Follow them on Twitter
*Like them on Facebook

2 comments: