Saturday, January 7, 2012

Healthy Eats

Here are some of my "Healthy Eats". I have to say, I am really surprised with myself. I was worried that I would not stick to this "whole foods, unprocessed" diet after I went shopping to Whole Foods and saw all the vegan junk food and smelled freshly baked Italian bread......I had to hold myself back from buying some of the stuff that I recently gave up. I was thinking, mmmmm, freshly baked bread, just a slice....Well, I knew in the back of my mind that one slice would quickly turn into eating the whole loaf. Some with vegan butter and jam, some with vegan butter and Marmite and some with Tofurky deli slices and vegan mayo. Then I would come back to the store and get a Tofurky pizza and a jar of pickles and I would be back right where I started, maybe even worse.
I have been reading tons of books about vegan nutrition and nutrition in general and I am learning something new everyday. I am not perfect and never will be so I am not making the best choices in my diet, but I am making better and healthier choices.

Black beans with onions, avocado, lime juice and roasted red pepper



Leftover black beans over baked sweet potato



Quinoa with chopped raw kale and spinach, seasoned with tamari and lemon juice


Five grain bread with avocado and spinach


Baby kale and spinach salad with dried cranberries and tomato-tahini dressing



Roasted asparagus seasoned with lemon juice, salt, black pepper and a bit of olive oil


Spinach salad with avocado, tomatoes, dried cranberries and raw pumpkin seeds and raw sunflower seeds


Spinach salad with quinoa, chickpeas and beets


Spinach, mango and pineapple smoothie


When I was craving apple turnovers, apple strudel and apple crumble, I made simple baked apples topped with raisins and walnuts, sprinkled with cinnamon. Yummy!


Quinoa with roasted string beans and onions, topped with toasted walnuts


Overnight oats with banana and strawberries

4 comments:

  1. All this food looks amazing. Good for you for sticking to your goals!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all looks awesome! Like you, I too absolutely love white bread. It's my biggest weakness. But now I make my own whole-wheat bread so I can still have homemade bread but it's much healthier than white. I also like the tomato-tahini dressing. I'm always looking for different ways to use tahini.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I'm trying to eat less processed foods.....it's not going so well :( That tomato tahini dressing looks fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I would find it incredibly challenging to give up all processed foods, but your amazing pictures are making it look like FUN!

    WOW! Love all that avocado, and the tomato-tahini dressing and the baked apples look incredible!

    ReplyDelete