Saturday, December 25, 2010

Czech style Christmas dinner in USA


Traditional Christmas dinner in the Czech Republic is fried carp, fried chicken, or fried schnitzel and potato salad. Making a veganized Christmas dinner from my homeland is one way how I stay connected with my family roots and traditions overseas. I made my "famous" potato salad (recipe here) and fried Boca Original Chik'n Patties. Then I squeezed fresh lemons over the warm patties. The warm Chik'n patties with lemon juice and the cold salad were a perfect combination.



I indulged myself with divine hot chocolate and Dandies vegan marshmallows.



I made another traditional Christmas dish. Its name would translate into "Mushroom Kuba ( Jacob)". It is a very easy dish. It was made out of cooked barley, sauteed porcini mushrooms with onion, garlic, ground caraway seeds and marjoram. Everything is mixed together and baked.


I used some leftover potato salad to create these traditional open faced mini sandwiches (Obložené chlebíčky). I added some Tofurky Deli Slices and a pickle.
I love these mini sandwiches. They are very easy to make, but look quite festive.
Merry Christmas!


5 comments:

  1. Yum! Everything looks delicious! I constantly waver between vegetarian and vegan and found your blog:) Always looking for more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I would love that mushroom recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone :-)
    @idreamofgreenieblog.com
    The recipe is very simple

    "Mushroom Jacob"
    1/2 pound peeled barley
    large handful of dried porcini or other mushrooms (soaked in water for few hours)
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    1 small onion, chopped
    ground caraway seeds
    dried marjoram
    black pepper and salt to taste

    Cook the barley in boiling water until soft. Drain.
    Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic until the mushrooms until soft. Add the barley and season with spices.
    Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake the barley mixture in a greased pan for about 20-30 minutes. Serve with pickles if desired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! That looks like a very tasty meal!

    ReplyDelete