Monday, September 5, 2011

Vegan BLT sandwich with Tempeh Fakin' Bacon


I am not a big tempeh lover, I am a tofu girl :-) I do eat tempeh from time to time, because it is an excellent source of protein and my husband prefers tempeh over processed mock meats and tofu. Tempeh bacon is our favorite way to enjoy this protein packed soy product.
I have tried other mock bacon products, but nothing tasted as good as Lightlife "Tempeh Fakin's Bacon" so far. I even tried to marinade my own tempeh strips in liquid smoke, soy sauce and spices, but the taste was never as good as the original product. One of the reasons might be the fact that the original product is marinated for weeks or longer at a time so the tempeh is soaked with the yummy and smokey flavor.
It is so easy to prepare, just pan-fry the strips for few minutes in some hot oil, until the edges are crispy and serve warm in your BLT sandwich or over salads. I love it as a topper on "Mock Chicken Cordon Bleu" or crumbled in potato salads.


I have never had the real BLT sandwich so I cannot compare this vegan version to the real thing. However, there is something deliciously amazing about this simple vegan bacon, lettuce, tomato and vegan mayo sandwich. So simple and yet so tasty!

Do you like vegan BLT sandwich? What is your favorite vegan bacon substitution?




7 comments:

  1. Yum!! I'm the same- a total tofu girl! But I do enjoy the tempeh bacon & this sounds really good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I stumbled upon your site. I'm experimenting with being vegan for a month (maybe even longer) and was looking for some recipe ideas. Never heard of tempeh bacon, I will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anna Thank you for reading! Good luck on your vegan journey! Let me know if you need any help or advice in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the LightLife fakin bacon, but I can't find it locally and WF is an hour drive each way for me. Instead, I marinate plain tempeh and make my own. It's not quite the same, but I enjoy it just the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Meg I make my own when I don't feel like paying extra $2 for the already marinated one :-)

    ReplyDelete